Monday, November 06, 2017

FO: Sabi Hat

Yarn: 1 skein of Zealana Rimu Yarn (Performa Series); DK
Needles: US 5 only
 
I ran out of yarn early, so I could only knit 3 zigzag repeats, plus 3 more rds before working the crown decreases. It fits fine, but I would have loved a more slouchy hat. 

The yarn for this hat is 60% merino and 40% Bushtail Possum. What?!

Apparently, bushtail possums are so invasive to New Zealand because of the lack of natural predators that working their fiber into this yarn is a service to the environment and the animals the Bushtail Possums invade. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. Do they kill the possums? They say they are taking part in the "responsible management" of these animals. 21,000 metric tons of flora and fauna are consumed each day by bushtail possums, and the ecosystem is taking a toll. You can read more about the Zealana yarn story here.

Nevertheless, the yarn is soft and has a mohair-like halo effect. Plus, the yarn is machine washable. This Sabi Hat project is easy, and I recommend this pattern if you are looking for something fresh and exciting.

No comments: