Wednesday, June 20, 2012

FO: apron!

I'm so proud of my first real sewing project, I'm just gonna copy & paste my post from my new sewing blog, the Stitch Novice, instead of teasing you with one photo:

Done! I completed it yesterday, before dropping myself onto my bed in a vegetative mode to prop up my complaining foot (I had surgery on it to take out part of my outer bone, two weeks ago). I didn't have too many bumps on the road, but it wasn't all idiot-proof.

Project: Stitch 'n Save M6536 Apron
Start Date: June 17th, 2012
Finish Date:  June 19th, 2012
Store: Joann Fabrics (pattern & fabric)
Fabric: Cotton
Yardage: 1.5 yards- main color, 1 fabric quarter- contrast


When it came to doing the top of the apron, where the orange fabric is, I had to fudge it around so it fit correctly. Either I cut the pattern wrong in width, or maybe it was supposed to fit like that..who knows, but to me it seemed like a red-flag zone. I felt like it should be longer in height.

The tubing on the armpits also gave me some trouble. The instructions wasn't clear enough for a newbie like me. After sewing the wrong sides together and flipping it over...and then sewing it to the other side, the tubing was pretty narrow on the outer-most edges for the apron tie that had to be threaded through it.

Sewing the Pockets to the apron.




Stitching on the pockets: not so bad?
I decided not to do the rickrack ribbon and such embellishments that the pattern called for. I'm much too simple in taste for that. I just went plain-Jane and let the contrast fabric and one piece of orange ribbon do all of the talking. I think it looks a little more sophisticated that way, even in a cutesy fabric pattern.

Other alterations to the pattern were: going size Medium on the chest and size Large for the body of the apron, and also shortening this apron by around 2 inches (it's still pretty long). 


Rolled up Apron tie. Love it!




On to my next mission: that sexy red dress number!

2 comments:

knittingdragonflies said...

Oh Wow! I love this pattern, and the fabrics you picked out!!
I own a juicer and it flings juice bits out onto my front when I'm standing there, I've been searching for an apron, and this one is just right!!
Love it!
Vicki

Knitting Up A Storm said...

Thanks, Vicki!
I got your other comments on the other blog too. :) The elastic is pretty worn, and I was chubbier in the 6th grade than I was in 8th grade or High School so it evened out in the end. I definitely want to make another pair too! Thanks for the compliments.